Jump To Navigation

South Louisiana Maritime Law Attorney

Jones Act Litigation Services for Clients throughout South Louisiana

Under the Merchant Marine Act of 1920, commonly referred to as the Jones Act, commercial workers injured at sea, ports or inland waterways may seek maintenance and cure directly from their employers, as opposed to their state's workers' compensation system. Because maritime injury and wrongful death claims fall under U.S. admiralty law, the system for recovering compensation and medical care requires knowledge of the complex process of filing a lawsuit through the federal or state court system.

Maritime Law Experience — Second to None

Attorney Ken Jacques began his legal career in the admiralty section of one of New Orleans largest litigation firms. While representing primarily the interest of vessel owners from all over the world who called on the Port of New Orleans in litigation matters involving collisions, personal injuries, dock and cargo damage and charter party disputes. He was also one of the only lawyers at his firm who represented injured workers in Louisiana who had been injured in the oil patch while working in inland and offshore waters. In 1983, he resigned his partnership from his firm and opened a solo practice where he could bring his knowledge of maritime law to exclusively represent the interest of injured maritime/oilfield workers who had been injured by the negligence of their employers.

Free Consultation · No Attorneys Fees Unless You Receive Compensation

From wherever you are in South Louisiana, contact the firm to schedule a consultation with an experienced New Iberia maritime law attorney. Learn more about Mr. Jacques' experience by visiting the firm's Representative Cases page.

Call the firm if you have been injured or lost a loved one in any type of workplace accident while working on or near the water, including accidents involving:

  • Work boats
  • Jack-up drilling rigs, jack-up barges
  • Semi-submersible drilling rigs
  • Commercial diving
  • Seismic vessels
  • Supply crew boats, utility crew boats
  • Offshore oil rig accidents
  • Tankers
  • Commercial fishing boats
  • Dredges
  • Freighters
  • Tugboats and barges
  • Shuttle boats
  • Riverboats
  • Tugboats
  • Dock and loading activities, ingress and egress
  • Commercial transport vessels, ferries
  • Cruise ships and tour boats
  • Cargo ships

If You aren't Sure Whether You Qualify under the Jones Act

Most workers in Louisiana are covered under state or federal compensation law. However, many workers may not even be aware of the extent of their coverage under the Jones Act. For example, workers injured offshore or on an inland waterway drilling barges or oil rigs may be able to sue their employers for general damages, such as pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, mental anguish and loss of past and future wages when injured due to their employer's negligence or because of an unseaworthy condition. If you work in the oil patch and qualify as a Jones Act seaman, you can sue your employer under the Jones Act. You may also be able to sue your employer as a Jones Act seaman even if you are injured while working on a stationary platform under some circumstances.

He Knows What Questions to Ask to Help You Maximize Your Benefits

Depending upon your job tasks and the types of vessel you work on, it may not be immediately evident that you qualify under protection of the Jones Act. Mr. Jacques will help you determine whether you are deemed a seaman and entitled to Jones Act benefits if you are working on a semi-submersible, jack-up rig, inland drilling barges or other offshore vessels. If you are a seaman, attorney Ken Jacques will help you qualify for maintenance and cure while he also works to seek general damages for pain and suffering and lost wages. Mr. Jacques knows what questions to ask, and understands the process of determining whether you qualify as a Jones Act seaman or whether you can seek a third-party claim against a subcontractor who caused your injuries. Asking the right questions to the injured client can make the difference between a case where the client is entitled to only limited weekly compensation benefits and a case worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

South Louisiana Maritime and Jones Act Lawyer

Call 504-535-7569 or contact the firm by email for a free consultation. Office hours are generally 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and he is available for weekend and evening consultations by special arrangement. Call anytime to leave a message with the answering service, and he will respond as quickly as possible. If your injuries don't allow you to visit the office in New Orleans, he can make arrangements to meet you at your home or hospital room.

Do You Have a Case?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Contact Us

The Law Offices of Kenneth W Jacques
P.O. Box 791897
New Orleans, LA 70179
Phone: 504-535-7569
Fax: 504-529-1782
Map and Directions